Langports is a friendly and fun place to learn English. The knowledge you receive and the attitudes you develop, can guide you for the rest of your life. Learning English is especially important in landing your first job, or when applying to graduate school.
To be a perfect student and achieve your full potential during your stay at Langports, you will be required to use certain skills. We have listed below the top 10 things you can do to become a perfect student.
1.Speak English only. At Langports, we have a strict English only policy and all students are required to speak English. We know that it can be hard sometimes and especially at the beginning of your course when everything is new to you. However, the more you try, the more it will become easier to speak English all the time.
2. Pay attention in class. When a teacher is giving a lesson, take notes and if you don’t understand something, raise your hand and ask questions. Taking notes will help you think and help you understand what is being taught more. If you’re having trouble understanding something, ask the teacher or one of staff member for help. Avoid distractions in class and do not distract others.
3. Be well organized. Do your homework in advance and arrive on time for your class. Make a daily routine for yourself, it really works. Keep all of your electronics such as your phone, iPod and laptop away from you as these cause distraction. Be prepared – Bring everything you need with you to class. It would be a good idea to bring books, folders, pens, pencils, homework and anything else you need.
4. Have a positive attitude, be motivated – motivation is vital to doing well when learning a language. Be attentive and enthusiastic – ask questions and stay focused. It will help you on the long run and it’ll brighten your day.
5. Review your notes when you have free time just to ensure that you have understood each point of your lesson.
6. Make sure you have access to a dictionary (get one on your phone then you can access it wherever you are).
7. Find your own study pace. Take short breaks while studying. For example: one 15 minute break every 2 hours. Study somewhere when you can concentrate. Loud music or a lot of people around can be distracting.
8. Go the extra yard – When you are finished with your work, ask your teacher if you can do extra work. Do watch TV in English if you have the chance. Find your own way to study by yourself and keep learning!
9. Be open minded. At Langports you will meet people from all over the world. Many students will speak a different language, will eat different food and will have a very different culture. Use this opportunity to discover and learn about other ways of doing things. Your experience will be even more memorable!
10. Enjoy yourself. This should be, literally, the time of your life.
If you would like some more study tips, please have a look at our other blogs with English Tips:
Or if you are interested in finding more about living in Australia, please have a look at our other blogs: